Canadian Railroad Bridge
Canadian Railroad Bridge, built in 1911, had concrete column, abutment, and wing wall deterioration consistent with the chemical breakdown of the concrete. There was also deterioration in combined concrete and stone piers consistent with the chemical breakdown of concrete. This was the result of age, exposure to the elements, and freeze/thaw cycles.
SURTREAT® products were spec’d and used to rehab the failing concrete structural members and to give the structure perhaps another 100 years of life.
SURTREAT® is a proprietary, water based, environmentally friendly solution of activators and migratory aids that inhibits rebar corrosion, increases strength and reduces porosity in reinforced concrete.
- Inhibits salt, water, air and contaminates from penetrating the concrete and forms a better seal in the pores and micro cracks
- Controls pH and maintains the high alkalinity in the concrete and is highly acid resistant
- Migrates to the rebar in liquid and ionic phase and reacts to form a very stable passivating film – more stable than in new concrete
- Converts rust to a stable, inert compound – and increases compressive, flexural, and tensile strength. Also increases hardness and abrasion resistance
Scope of Work
- All loose, delaminated concrete was removed with hand tools. Concrete taken to solid surface.
- SURTREAT® was spray applied to all areas designated for repair.
- Use of a latex-modified Portland cement coating that is applied over concrete surfaces to provide a waterproof exterior surface – was applied to the surface.
- SURTREAT® formula – a liquid applied to the concrete to decrease water permeation by up to 97% and will provide a minimum 20 year extended life span – was applied to the repairs.
Have a Project in Mind?
SURTREAT® works across a wide variety of industries. Our products renew, restore, and repair even the toughest structural damage.
GET A QUOTE
Our engineers will learn about your project and provide you with a long-lasting concrete solution.